Free Online Romanian Language Lessons / Courses
Our Romanian language courses are structured in four categories on the basis of your Romanian language skills: A0:Essential Romanian(24h), A1:Elementary Romanian for beginners, Intermediate and Advanced.
If you do not know in which category you fit, you can take the Romanian language skills test or start directly with the absolute beginner level: A0. Essential Romanian 24 hour course.
We find the pronunciation a very important topic this is why we've build Romanian classes specialized in pronunciation.
Independently of your level, you will need some tools and an approach to studying Romanian. This is why we have prepared a short tutorial on How to learn Romanian for free.
Our approach is to provide for a better and more intuitive way of learning Romanian than the traditional language study books. We believe that Romanian can be better learned through real life situations and by using free audio and video materials.
This is the Absolute Beginner's Guide to conversational Romanian and a Romanian Survival guide.
No prior knowledge of Romanian is required.
Knowing that sometimes grammar can be tedious subject we have limited the grammar lessons to the bare minimum that you should know, the conjugations of the main Romanian verbs: "to be", "to have" and "to go".
In online Romanian course you will learn how to:
- understand a basic conversation in Romanian
- handle situations frequently experienced by foreigners in Romania
You will discover and assimilate:
- A0.1 Basic Romanian words and common phrases
- How to greet someone in Romanian
- Other practical Romanian phrases/expressions
- A0.2 How to conjugate the Romanian verbs "to be" and "to have"
- A0.3 How to say that you speak little Romanian or that you do not speak at all Romanian
- A0.4 How to say that you come from your country (e.g. I come from France)
- A0.5 How to introduce yourself in formal and informal situations
- A0.6 How to count to 10
- A0.7 How to say the colors in Romanian (e.g. red, blue)
- Quick Revision A0
- How to rent a car in Romania
- Some cultural notes about Romanian currency and main cities
The previous Romanian language course prepared you for your first encounter with the Romanian language. Level A1 will take you further on your Romanian learning path. If you haven't done so already, we advise you to first go through the lessons of Level A0 before starting this level.
In all the lessons of this online Romanian course we continue to provide you with hundreds of free audio and video resources.
In this course we will focus on:
- A1.1 The most frequently used basic Romanian verbs
- How to deal with an Emergency in Romanian
- A1.2 How to count from 11 to 20
- A1.3 How to ask for directions
- A1.4 How to understand directions
- A1.5 How to say: "I go", "You go"
- A1.6 Romanian Time Expressions: Weekdays, Months, Seasons
- A1.7 Dating, compliments and relationship (love vocabulary)
- A1.8 Romanian pet love names and love songs
- A1.9 At the restaurant in Romania - How to book a table
- A1.10 How to order a dish in Romanian
- A1.11 Romanian traditional and international food & drinks vocabulary
- A1.12 Introduction to Romanian wines
- A1.13 All you need to know about Romanian wines
- A1.14 Romannian terroir, local wine types, wine regions and vineyards
In each and every lesson on our website you will find free audio samples of the words/sentences you are studying.
However this course on pronunciation is a dedicated one, explaining the pronunciation rules, and grouping similar phonetic Romanian words.
Those familiar with the International Phonetics Alphabet (IPA) notation will be happy to find each Romanian word in all our lessons transcribed into the IPA style. If you are not familiar with IPA, you can just ignore the "funny characters" and listen to the free Romanian audio samples.
Three comprehensive Romanian classes are available:
The Romanian Grammar online course explains the rules governing the grammar as well as providing many examples and exercises.
Even if you, like most people, are not a big fan of grammar, the course helps you understand why certain grammatical constructions are as they are.
We're ready and happy to help should you have questions or need more assistance. Just drop us a comment at the bottom of the lesson that you find difficult.
Currently the following lessons are ready. We are working on more (to be made available soon):
- How to ask a question in Romanian: Interrogatives
- Question in Romanian: Advanced Level - Pe cine, La ce
- Personal pronouns in Romanian
- New! Possessive pronouns in Romanian
- Romanian noun gender and number
- The two main auxiliary verbs "a fi" (to be) and "a avea" (to have) conjugated. This lesson is part of the Level A0 for absolute beginners
- The other important usual Romanian verbs conjugated: e.g. "a face" (to do), "a da" (to give)... (this lesson is part of the Level A0 for absolute beginners
- A stub about Verbs - Indicative Mood - Present Tense"
All about Romania (e.g. traveling and living)
To learn better Romanian you must know a few things about the country and its people. Moreover if you can settle in Romania, you will be more exposed and immersed in the Romanian culture and language which will boost your Romanian language skills.
This is why we have created a few lessons (most of them following your requests) to help and guide you while traveling through Romania or trying to find a job or a place to stay.
We're planning to add a few more lessons about the Romanian traditions (e.g. cultural, religious, gastronomic).
- Some advice before traveling to Romania (e.g. for tourism, business or occasional stays)
- A comprehensive guide on how to find a job in Romania
- How to rent an apartment in Bucharest as an expat/foreigner
You might also want to have a look at our other articles related to Romania: